Flu season is here! Colds, viruses, allergies and more. What can you do to get your immune system ready for this season of bugs? Here is a list of food that will boost your immune system. Even better, I have a recipe that includes ALL of these immune boosting foods below.
Yogurt: Some brands contain vitamin D, which boosts the immune system, as well as probiotics, friendly bacteria that live in the intestinal tract and rally to combat the ill-effects of bad bugs. Kefir, a fermented milk beverage, is loaded with probiotics, so add that to your shopping cart too.
Berries: Compounds called anthocynanins, found in the skin of berries — blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, boost the body’s defense against invaders.
Broccoli: This veggie protects against colds and flu as well as chronic diseases such as cancer, heart disease, and diseases of the eye. Broccoli contains high levels of a compound that has antiviral and antibacterial properties.
Almonds: The antioxidant vitamin E is found in almonds, and it helps to strengthen the immune system.
Now, here’s a good recipe that includes all these foods in one powerful and yummy parfait!
Immune boosting Fruity Yogurt Parfaits:
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch salt
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup dried fruit (choices: raisins, cranberries, diced dates, etc.)
- 2 cups low-fat yogurt, flavor of your choice
- 1 cup fresh fruit (choices: blueberries, cubed watermelon, sliced strawberries, Mandarin oranges, etc)
1. Preheat the oven to 300°F. In a medium bowl, combine the oats, almonds, and flaxseed.
2. In a small bowl, mix together the oil, agave, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg until well combined. Drizzle into the oat mixture and stir together until the oats are well coated.
3. Spread the mixture onto a cookie sheet and bake about 25 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes, until the oats are golden brown. Remove from the oven and let cool. Mix in the dried fruit.
4. For the parfaits, use long fluted dessert glasses. Layer a dollop of yogurt, a sprinkle of fruit (one type or a combination), and granola. Repeat until filled to the top. Serve chilled.
Categorised as: Uncategorized